Thursday, October 8, 2015

Welcome to the world, Brooklynn Grace

Brooklynn Grace
October 1, 2015
3:44 AM
7 pounds, 7 ounces
19 inches

My estimated due date was October 3. Once again, I assumed I would go “late” since my first two pregnancies went past their dates.  I didn’t mind though.  We just wanted to make it to October. How blessed we are that we got our wish.  On Monday evening I started losing some of my mucous plug. I knew from past experience that would mean I still might have a few days.  I was right. I went to work on Tuesday and wrapped up a few things.  I brought what was left on my desk that I would want at home with me when I left. I already had Wednesday off from work, and while I expected to be at work on Thursday, I didn’t want to chance it and leave stuff behind.

Wednesday morning, I went to my midwife’s office for my regular, weekly visit.  I did not have an internal since she knew I absolutely did not want that baby coming that day (the 30th) and didn’t want to chance it.  She said she did not want to be blamed for labor, even though she didn’t think an internal would make me go into labor.  I went to the labor and delivery floor to get a non stress test and to check my amniotic fluid since I had felt much less movement and was worried.  It really eased my fears. I went about the rest of the day as normal and made dinner.  While I was putting the boys to bed, I noticed some contractions that were about 15 minutes apart and kind of painful.  I wasn’t too worried and didn’t expect them to progress though.  That was around 8:30.  By 10 they were more like 10 minutes apart.  I let Rich know. He was busy cleaning the baby’s room and decided to pack his stuff in the suitcase.  I finished up my packing.  I couldn’t sleep because the contractions kept bothering me. 

They progressed to 5 ½ minutes apart probably around 1am.  I decided a little after that to get in the shower to make the pain a bit more manageable.  While in there they jumped to 2 minutes apart.  Rich called his mom to come down but we still thought there was lots of time.  I called my midwife at 2:23 am to see what she thought. They were hovering around 3ish minutes after the shower.  I had 2 contractions on the phone with her and she wanted me to come in to Yale as soon as I could. I said, “I just don’t want to get to triage and you tell me I’m only 2 centimeters.” I still didn’t think it would happen quickly.  I stood up from the bathtub and told Rich what she said.  He took a shower and started packing the van up. He realized they were getting more intense and closer and that there wouldn’t be time for either of our moms to get there. It was now around 3am and they were 1 ½ minutes apart and even though they didn’t last as long, they were intense.  He tried to find the van keys. They were in his pocket.

He woke up the boys and put them in the car. Hudson was really excited and kept asking questions.  I tried to answer him but then told him no more talking.  Camden stayed asleep.  Rich was going around 90 to get to Yale.  We were calling his mom to let her know to meet us at Yale and then my mom. Noone answered the phone.  For some reason, I pointed out the parking garage to park in and Rich looked at me like I had 3 heads and that we would valet.  Smart man. I wasn’t thinking. I would have had my baby in a parking garage had he listened to me.  We pulled into the emergency entrance around 3:25 am. I was admitted. She asked if I wanted to wait for Rich and the kids but he told me to go. I got ahold of my mother at 3:27 and told her to get to the hospital to watch the boys and hung up the phone.

I was wheeled to labor and delivery and went right to the room. Eliza, the midwife on call was not in the room when I got there and I panicked a little.  I stood up and started crying hysterically that Rich was downstairs with the boys.  One of the nurses calmed me down and said “Your husband will not miss the birth of the baby. I will go watch the boys.” Eliza came in. The nurse went out to find them.  Rich came in right after that. My water broke with the next contraction. I climbed onto the bed on all 4s. They had me lean/hold on to the top of the bed and I started pushing.  I think it was only a few minutes and she was born at 3:44.  They said to mark that the water broke at 3:41, but none of us really know since they hadn’t looked at the clock, and it was so quick.  

They handed her to me through my legs so I could see her. Then they helped me flip over to stitch the first degree tare.  I breastfed her, and she latched right on. The nurse that had been out with the boys had come back because family showed up. Courtney, the nurse, thought the boys were great and Hudson amused her talking all grown up.

We were wheeled out to go to the maternity ward and passed by the family waiting for us. We covered her pink hat and asked the boys what they thought they had – a baby brother or a baby sister.  They both thought sister and were very happy to see they were correct. It was close to 6am when we finally got settled into our room. The boys were very sad that they had to leave us behind.  Camden wanted me to come home with him.

This delivery was similar to Camden’s. It was very painful and intense. I was terrified Rich wouldn’t make it to see the birth since the boys came with us. This birth was definitely the more emotional for me since I plan on it being my last.


We are all doing well and adjusting to being a family of 5.  The boys are crazy in love with their little sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment